⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposed changes to various standard names

From: Thomas Lavergne <t.lavergne>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 08:24:45 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Jonathan,

I would like to comment on the issue you are pointing out for sea_ice_displacement, as I introduced this standard name.

----- "Jonathan Gregory" <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk> wrote:
> sea_ice_displacement -> magnitude_of_sea_ice_displacement
>
> This change is proposed so that "sea_ice_displacement" is definitely a
> vector,
> with components e.g. "eastward_sea_ice_displacement"; at present, it
> is both a
> scalar and a vector.

You are right: "sea_ice_displacement" is a 2D vector with several types of components (eastward, etc...). It seems thus a good idea to use a "magnitude_of_" prefix for designing its magnitude.

I do agree with your proposal of changing the 'sea_ice_displacement' standard name into 'magnitude_of_sea_ice_displacement'.

regards,
Thomas