⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard Names - Status Summary

From: Pamment, JA <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:29:27 -0000

Dear All,

Over recent weeks there has been a large number of proposals for new
standard names. To help keep track of them all I have prepared a brief
summary of the currently open standard names discussion threads. The
proposals are listed in date order (oldest first). If any set of
proposals has been missed from this list please let me know and it will
be added.

The next update of the standard name table will take place on 10 March.
This will definitely go ahead as there are agreed names waiting for
inclusion. A complete list of the new names and other planned
modifications to the table will be published in advance of the update.

I have recently been concentrating on the various sets of ocean related
proposals, the majority of which are now agreed. The oldest, and by far
the largest, of the remaining threads is that relating to the set of
chemical names originally proposed by Martina Stockhause. I would like
to take the same approach with the chemistry names as I have with the
ocean names, i.e. review several threads in tandem, as this helps to
keep track of any issues affecting more than one set of names. Most
recently, various sets of names have been proposed relating to the CMIP5
work and these need to be addressed on a relatively short timescale.
Therefore, over the next few weeks I will be dividing my time mainly
between the chemistry names and the various CMIP5 threads.

As there is currently much activity in the area of standard names I will
publish another summary status report in two weeks time to give an
update on the situation.

Best wishes,
Alison

Thread(s): CF standard names for chemical constituents andaerosols
(resulting from a GRIB2 proposal); CF: new names for atmospheric
chemistry and aerosols; CF standard names for chemical constituents
andaerosols; standard names for chemistry - MCM
Proposer: Martina Stockhause
Date proposed: 18 Sep 2008
Number of names (approx.): 2 800
Project(s): GRIB2

Thread(s): Standard name(s) needed for satellite-based icedrift products
Proposer: Thomas Lavergne
Date proposed: 24 Oct 2008
Number of names (approx.): 6
Project(s):

Thread(s): new named fields for ocean
Proposer: Stephen Griffies
Date proposed: 6 Nov 2008
Number of names (approx.): 60
Project(s): CMIP5

Thread(s): CF standard names for echam5-hammoz
Proposer: Heinke Hoeck
Date proposed: 7 Nov 2008
Number of names (approx.): 90
Project(s): echam5-hammoz model (aerosol-chemistry-climate)

Thread(s): new names for AeroCom - optcial properties; new names for
AeroCom - cloud properties; new names for AeroCom - mass / mole /
number; new names for AeroCom - tendencies; new names for AeroCom -
remaining; new names for AeroCom
Proposer: Christiane Textor