⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard Names - Status Summary

From: Martina Stockhause <martina.stockhause>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:17:54 +0100

Dear Alison,

regarding the thread "CF standard names for chemical constituents and aerosols":.

I think we agreed on the new physical quantities, for the chemical names I am not sure.
Then the discussion shifted towards the more general topic of how to integrate
chemical CF standard names in future and afterwards to general construction rules for all kinds of CF standard names.
My original proposal got a bit lost in these general discussions. Therefore I would like to focus on the chemical names again.

1. Physical Quantities
In the mails from the 24.10.2008 we agreed on:

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_X_due_to_respiration : kg.m-2.s-1

tendency_of_mole_concentration_of_X_in_air_due_to_chemical_gross_production :/
/mol.m-3.s-1
tendency_of_mole_concentration_of_X_in_air_due_to_chemical_gross_destruction
:/
/mol.m-3.s-1
density_of_surface_area_of_X, m-1, This is the surface area of aerosol per volume of atmosphere (i.e. /m2.m-3=m-1)/

2. Chemical Quantities
For the new chemical species I am not that sure. I recall a discussion
about 'lumped' but cannot remember an agreement. The full list of names
for chemical species can be found in the wiki:
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/CF_Standard_Names_-_Construction_of_Atmospheric_Chemistry_and_Aerosol_Terms
Regarding my proposal, I tried to keep track and the new names I found
in my files are:

atomic_oxygen
nitrate_radical
nitrous_acid
radon
methyl_peroxy_radical
methanol
formic_acid
aceto_nitrile
ethanol
acetic_acid
butane
alpha_pinene
beta_pinene
limonene
hcfc141b
hcfc142b
nitric_acid_trihydrate_aerosol
hox_expressed_as hydrogen
total_peroxy_radical
passive_ozone
noy_expressed_as_nitrogen
clox_expressed_as_chlorine
brox_expressed_as_bromine
lumped_alkanes
lumped_alkenes
lumped_aromatic_compounds
lumped_terpenes
nmvoc_expressed_as_carbon
anthropogenic_nmvoc_expressed_as_carbon
biogenic_nmvoc_expressed_as_carbon
lumped_oxygenated_hydrocarbons

3. Construction of "chemical CF names"
The discussion about a naming convention and construction guideline for
chemicals and aerosols is summed up by Christiane in the wiki:
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Modfication_of_existing_CF_standard_names.
The status there is:
e.g.
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_nox_expressed_as_nitrogen_due_to_emission
The position of <medium> is not absolutely clear, I would think:
If it is not a medium like "air" but a part of the earth system like
"atmosphere" it is not agreed (as far as I know), whether it should be
placed like the medium or in front.

Actually, the chemical names in the CF construction guideline
http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/guidelines are a
bit out-dated and needs to be revised or replaced by a link to the above
mentioned wiki page of the chemists.

What is still open to me (or I missed the agreement), is the question of
whether the CF standards names with each individual chemical species are
part of the CF convention or only the physical quantities and processes
with a place-holder for the chemical quantity.

Heinke proposed a possibility how we could deal with the place-holder
(she called "constituent") in netCDF-headers, about which I could not
find a real discussion,
http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2008/002421.html:

dimensions:
lat=72;
lon=124;
maxlen=30;
float quantity(lat,lon,height,time) ;
quantity:standard_name = "mass_fraction_of_constituent_in_air" ;
quantity:units = "1" ;
quantity:coordinates = "constituent" ;
char constituent(maxlen);
constituent:standard_name='IUPAC_system';
data:
constituent='ozone';

I hope to revive the discussion to reach an agreement of this rather old
thread as well, at least on the first and second parts (1. and 2.).

Best wishes,
Martina

--
--- CliSAP - Integrated Climate Data Center ---
Martina Stockhause
e-mail: martina.stockhause at zmaw.de