⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for atmospheric chemistry and aerosols

From: Philip J. Cameronsmith1 <cameronsmith1>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 18:52:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi Martin, Christiane,

I remember looking at Christiane's pages back when those names were being
proposed. It seemed to be a very sensible approach to creating standard
names. However, I recall that in the ensuing discussions on the CF
mailing list there were many changes to the details, so that even though I
liked the concept I thought that the webpages had become out of date.

I just tracked down Christiane's recent email where she mentioned her wiki
(dated 3 Nov 2008), and I see it has been updated.

The link was http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/CF_Standard_Names_-_Construction_of_Atmospheric_Chemistry_and_Aerosol_Terms

It seems to combine proposals for the way to handle chemistry standard
names (many of which I like), along with descriptions of how the current
chemistry standard names are generated.

I also see that you list four alternative administrative procedures
for the approval of standard_names in the future, which include many of
the recent proposals on this email list.

Could you clarify the purpose of the wiki?

Are you intending that this be a basis for future discussions of these
issues?

Best wishes,

      Philip

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Schultz, Martin wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> juts to give a vote: I agree with all comments made by Christiane in her
> recent series of mails. It would be nice if we can reach consensus on the
> naming concept and new standard names for atmospheric chemistry rather soon
> now. The fact that Christiane's Wiki pages were not mentioned too often can
> only mean that everyone concerned agrees with their content. Now would be
> the time to protest.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Martin

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith Atmospheric, Earth, and Energy Division
pjc at llnl.gov Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
+1 925 4236634 7000 East Avenue, Livermore, CA94550, USA