⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for chemical constituents and aerosols

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 16:24:11 +0200

Dear Jonathan and Martina,

   perfect! This is exactly what I meant. I believe that we could use
Martina's tool (with some potential modifications) to generate a
suggestion whenever a new compound shall be introduced. But this
discussion can take place among a smaller group and wouldn't need full
approval of all individual names by the CF committee, because we would
have agreed on the principal for construction of these names and have
limited the potential combinations. I.e. if Alison (I believe you are
the one human body who actually does the hardest part of physically
maintaining the list) would see a proposal by Martina about "adding new
standard names for chemsitry and aerosols - new compound: XYZ" she
should be able to trust that it follows the rules and has garbage
eliminated. Martina should in my view act as gatekeeper for the
chemistry names and circulate proposals for new compounds among the
people who have actively participated in the chemistry and aerosol
discussions. I.e. the primary proposal would be the automatically
generated list of all combinations (perhaps with the "A" and "G"
distinction in order to ease the process), and the "ACC" group would
simply tick off those that make sense and eliminate those which don't.
Once agreement has been reached here (and I hope this can happen fast),
the "sensible list" would be proposed by Martina to the wider CF group
and should be added without much further discussion (but at least people
would have a chance to see them and raise their objections in case the
"ACC" group misses a point. Ideally, we would get a separate email list
for those ACC discussions (e.g. cf-acc at cgd.ucar.edu). The wider CF group
wouldn't be bombarded with that stuff any longer and could concentrate
on the real semantic issues again. My only request would be that Alison
would post acceptance of new chemical standard names on the cf-acc list
as well then.

   This is my practical plan - hope this can move the discussion
forward.

Best regards,

Martin

PS: here again as flow chart

    (1) "Joe someone" suggests to add chemical compound names to either
CF or ACC list
    (2) Martina takes the proposal and runs her tool to generate default
name set
        (including bogus suggestions)
    (3) ACC list discusses about exclusion and inclusion of combinations
and the choice of the
        actual compound name
    (4) if agreement is reached, Martina makes "fast-track" proposal to
CF list
    (5) after suitable wait time (~ 1 week), Alison accepts the names
        (and adds them to the table whenever she has time)

    If a new property needs to be added (let me just say "zooplankton"
here), then the discussion will be moved up to the wider CF list. If
that property gets accepted, Martina has to add it to her tool and it
will appear in the new suggestions from there on.

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt