⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] yaw angle and orientation

From: Bruno PIGUET <bruno.piguet>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:43:28 +0200

Thanks for your detailed answers.

First, John is right when he recalls that "Attack angle is around the
horizontal left-right axis". Probably Mike was rather suggesting
"platform_sideslip_angle". Is that it ?

Second, you all seem to agree that platform_yaw is "difference between
orientation and course" (degree). I personally can't say much on that
topic, I'm not a native english speaker.
But in the case described by John, I would rather call
"platform_drift_angle" the difference between the platform orientation
(which way it's pointing) and the actual direction of travel (track made
good over the ground).
I think that it corresponds to a static point of view.
Dynamicians will rather call "yaw" the rotation along the Z axis, and
thus will it "yaw_angle". You can find this kind of naming in satellite
dynamics. But I fear that it doesn't correspond to the norms, at least
for planes.

I agree it's difficult to find something definitive in this domain (I
have access to French norms, but not to english version of ISO
documents).

I would just like to mention that in "The Dynamics of Flight/The
Equations" by Jean-Luc Boiffier (John Wiley & Sons, 1998), the angle
between the platform axis and a fixed direction is called Azimuth, and
noted Psi.
The author states that the conventional range for Psi is ]-Pi, Pi], but
this is not required by ISO-1151 standard, it is only an ANSI
recommendation.
It is written that the azimuth angle is sometimes called the yaw angle.
And, when the fixed direction is the geographic North, the azimuth is
called true heading (and noted Psi_v); when ?fixed direction is the
magnetic North, the azimuth is called magnetic heading (and noted Psi_m)

(pages 27 and 28 of the book, equation 2.39)

So, if anybody with access to ISO-1151 standard can confirm this, I
think this could be considered definitive.

I had a quick look at RAF bulletin Nr 23, with no great success : ?Don
Lenschow and P. Spyers-Duran, are using the "Psi" name, saying it
correspond to "true heading" when using a meteorological and inertial
navigation frame of reference, and only us the word "yaw" in "yaw
maneuvers". They refer to Etkin, B., 1959: Dynamics of Flight. John
Wiley & Sons, editor.

Other references, anybody ?

Bruno.

Le jeudi 23 octobre 2008 ? 16:55 -0700, John Graybeal a ?crit :

--
Bruno PIGUET
 M?l : bruno.piguet at meteo.fr |  GAME : URA CNRS & METEO-FRANCE