⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] yaw angle and orientation

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:55:24 -0700

Platform_yaw_angle as defined per Bruno/CF makes more sense to me, but
it appears to be incorrect with respect to the current definitions you
can easily find for yaw angle. (hard to find something definitive
here) Attack angle is around the horizontal left-right axis -- it is
the difference e.g. between the airfoil angle and the line of movement
of the airplane through air.

I wish platform_orientation (which is 3D to me) could be
platform_pointing_direction, by the way, since it can't be platform
heading.

But that aside, the difference in the original definitions is that the
first (platform orientation) is measurement of aircraft orientation
with respect to a fixed external reference (true north or magnetic
north being the most common), so it's a number between 0 and 360;
while the second (platform yaw angle) is the difference between the
platform orientation (which way it's pointing) and the actual
direction of travel (track made good over the ground), so it's
typically a number between -10 and 10 for airplanes, and highly
varying numbers for ships. (A slow ship in high currents may have to
point almost totally upstream to go horizontally, which would make for
a yaw angle near 90 degrees.)

john