⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] date and time

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:57:54 -0700

Ah, so you force me to explain further. I think I failed to properly
separate concerns in the first email, sorry.

Yes, the day-of-year of an observation was just time in another form.
(Some tools like to compute with day-of-year, some systems like to
provide it. Ick.) This particular example, while almost entirely real,
also represents a broad range of sensor data systems for which we
collect data. We would like to be able to put their data as is into
netCDF files; and we would like to be able to link those parameters to
standard names, even in describing the actual data coming from the
sensors. But I think we have two problem domains in this discussion:
(1) Using Standard Names for broader semantic interoperability; (2)
COARDS/CF representation in a data file.

I think it's fair to say that the Standard Name only implies a format
restriction in the context of a COARDS/CF file. So the _concept_ of
the CF standard name 'time' can be leveraged in any other context,
without suggesting a particular format.

So from your response I conclude the following:

'time' is a representation of any chronological parameter, even if
just a day or a year; typically it represents a system time.' In a
netCDF COARDS/CF file, a 'time' value must be be expressed as a
"period of time since an epoch".

'sensor_time' is any chronological parameter produced by a sensor;
with similar constraints in a netCDF COARDS/CF file. (I guess
sensor_time is a type of time.)

The following variables are not fit for COARDS/CF, and thus can not
have a CF standard name in that context:
   - Any time parameter that is expressed using the Gregorian calendar
(because these are in a new format)
   - Any time parameter whose reference epoch changes over the course
of the data set (e.g., yearly, or daily)
But I could use the Standard Name 'time' to reflect the _meaning_ of
these variables in some other context, like defining the sensor outputs.

If this is correct, it is very helpful. I think 'sensor_time' is a
helpful clarification and extension of what already exists; it might
be that 'device_time' is an alternative, as in many vocabularies
devices can include both sensors and samplers. But I'll go with your
preference here.

Having a definition of 'time' would also help. I took a cut at one
above; yours would likely be better.

Thoughts?

John