⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for chemical constituents and aerosols

From: Martina Stockhause <martina.stockhause>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:33:42 +0200

Dear Jonathan and Martin,

>>> This is why I was trying to point out that CF doesn't need to keep
>>> separate lists for X, A, G, or any other set of species. We will only
>>> need a single list of species: X.
>>>
>> Where is the information then for a physical quantity for an aerosol
>> that only part of the listed X can be used?
>> In my opinion, without it, the standard name is not defined precisely.
>> Or have I missed something?

I understand now that X, A, G would not be sufficient and the
combination possibilities of the matrix are much more complicated. Then
we can stay with the X, which is more open for future development and
let the chemistry community figure out the sensible combinations - as
Martin suggested. So, you have convinced me.
Additionally and on second thought, to construct CF names,
automatically, like I did, is not a usual way to work with CF.
Commonly, the data provider knows his data and choose the proper CF name
for it. If a data user asks for non-sensible data, he simply gets the
message that it is not available.

Martin, it is good to focus on practical suggestions now. I want to
discuss it with Heinke on Monday. So, one of us will step in the
discussion on Monday.

Cheers,
Martina