⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for chemical constituents and aerosols

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:16:30 +0100

Dear Martin

What you would propose, if I understand correctly, is to continue to decide
on each chemically related standard name individually, in order to make sure
they are all valid. (That is what I meant by "preventing nonsense" in a
previous email.) Is that right? This would not then be a change in the CF
convention at all, since the construction of standard names would still follow
rules agreed by CF and the standard name table would list them all explicitly.

As you say, if the number became very large eventually, we might have manage
the table in a different way from just having one long list to view, but I
already think that better tools for searching it would be useful. However in
this approach the number would still grow only at the rate that the individual
names were proposed.

The main advantage is the involvement of more people in deciding on the names
to be approved, who have the relevant expertise to decide what makes sense.
Of course that would be very welcome and valuable.