⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for chemical constituents and aerosols

From: Martina Stockhause <martina.stockhause>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:48:10 +0100

Dear Martin,

a few remarks and suggestions to your flow chart:

Schultz, Martin wrote:
> This is my practical plan - hope this can move the discussion
> forward.
>
> here again as flow chart
>
> (1) "Joe someone" suggests to add chemical compound names to either
> CF or ACC list
> (2) Martina takes the proposal and runs her tool to generate default
> name set
> (including bogus suggestions)

I would suggest that we make my tool after adaptations available for
"Joe someone" for the construction of these CF list. And he makes the
list himself and sends it directly as proposal to the ACC group.
Is it right that you and Jonathan favour the explicit species names over
the "X" abbreviation again in the CF standard names?
The tool for construction would then need two entries:
- a new physical quantity is accepted in CF (new physical for all
chemical compounds created)
- a new chemical compound is agreed in the ACC group (new chemical
compound for all physical created)
and two complete (reference) lists:
- of all physical quantities in CF with this "X" as replacement character
- of all chemical compounds and aerosols.

How do we grant the actuality of these lists? The chemical list can be
enlarged within the ACC group after acceptance. The list for the
physical quantities has to be updated together with a new CF standard
names version. However, I cannot see an easy way to extract the
information about a new "chemical" CF standard name with this "X" out of
the extended CF list, automatically. So this would mean additional work
for Alison.
> (3) ACC list discusses about exclusion and inclusion of combinations
> and the choice of the
> actual compound name
> (4) if agreement is reached, Martina makes "fast-track" proposal to
> CF list

I see my role more as a member of the ACC group, maintaining the tool,
than a mediator for the ACC group internally and between ACC group and
CF group. If agreement is reached, anyone of the group or at least a
couple of people should be able to send the list as proposal to the CF
list. He or she should adapt the chemical compound list for the tool as
well. To make the agreement within the ACC group dependent on one member
alone could significantly slow down the process if this volunteer is out
of office or occupied with other work.
> (5) after suitable wait time (~ 1 week), Alison accepts the names
> (and adds them to the table whenever she has time)
>
> If a new property needs to be added (let me just say "zooplankton"
> here), then the discussion will be moved up to the wider CF list. If
> that property gets accepted, Martina has to add it to her tool and it
> will appear in the new suggestions from there on.

I have not quite understood that. In the matrix that would add one or a
couple of new physical names, right? It then should be discussed in the
CF group and accepted there before introduction into the construction of
the chemical names.

Best wishes,
Martina