⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Adding new standard names for satellite altimetry

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:15:53 +0100

Dear Hans

> Hi Jonathan and Olivier
>
> backward(s)_scattering_coefficient
>
> why not simply
>
> backscatter_coefficient

This is one of those questions about standard names which is mostly about
the details of particular words, rather than the more important and difficult
questions about definitions. We could use either of these. The argument for
using backward(s)_scattering_coefficient is that we already have a standard
name containing this phrase. If we use the same phrase again (in the standard
name and its definition) it will avoid anyone having to worry about whether
a choice of different words means that a distinction is being drawn. I think
that is in general a good argument for consistency i.e. if you mean the same
thing in two cases, use the same words for it.

Cheers

Jonathan