⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] what standard names are for

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:50:40 -0600

Hi Jonathan, and all:

This is a really helpful comment for me on "what standard names are for". I have had reservations since the beginning about standard names, because they are "just a string", which severely limits what kind of relationships can be expressed among them.

Now "standard name = succint description = quick answer to 'what is this'?" finally makes this difficult process seem worth it. (Maybe its that Ive been stuck in the hell realm trying to figure out what arbitrary BUFR files mean using only the standard tables - no arbitrary key/value metadata! how sad!).

What Ive been hoping for is a way to describe the relationships between data variables, in a way that allows users to make queries across a large collection of heterogeneous datasets. This is what (I think) all the work in ontologies is after. Now it seems clear that standard names may be a good starting point, but alone are not rich enough to express the kinds of relationships needed to achieve this.

Since the "common concept" proposal seems to be also striving for this, its clearly time to consider what else is needed in addition to standard names. I will add further thoughts under that thread at:

  http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/24