⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Adding new standard names for satellite altimetry

From: Hans Bonekamp <Hans.Bonekamp>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:58:30 +0200

Hi Jonathan and Olivier

backward(s)_scattering_coefficient

why not simply

backscatter_coefficient

Tx
Hans

>>> "olivier lauret" <olauret at cls.fr> 10/04/2008 18:00 >>>
Dear Jonathan,

Thanks for comments. The other parallel CF discussion about introducing
standard names for SST data, that became a "What standard names are for"
topic is really interesting and raises a few questions about what we
(scientists, developers, users) are expecting from metadata in general.

Anyway about altimeter data, I agree with many of your points and I
think my colleagues from satellite altimetry community will be happy
with this. In particular I am glad to see that "altimeter_range" is OK,
the previous suggestion is a (bad!) idea of mine, I was anticipating
what we will do when we'll have to deal with plenty of standard names
that represent quite the same quantity. I have no need of a generic name
for the moment, and we personnaly prefer to use "altimeter_range".

Now we have:
sea_surface_height_correction_due_to_air_pressure_and_wind_at_high_frequency
(m)
Correction representative of high frequency fluctuations (for period
lower than 20 days) of sea surface topography; this must be added to
altimeter range.
sea_surface_height_correction_due_to_air_pressure _at_low_frequency (m)

Correction representative of inverted barometer effect (for period
higher than 20 days); this must be added to altimeter range.
backward(s)_scattering_coefficient
(I think it is better not to name it with no reference to the kind of
surface, because backscattering coefficient can be used in satellite
altimetry to study ice sheets, for example. Moreover some flags are used
to discriminate if measurement is on ocean or land.)
sea_surface_height_bias_due_to_sea_surface_roughness (m)
altimeter_range_correction_due_to_ionosphere (m)
Correction representative of atmosphere's electron content in the
ionosphere; this must be added to altimeter range.
altimeter_range_correction_due_to_wet_troposphere (m)
Correction representative of liquid water in the troposphere; this must
be added to altimeter range.
altimeter_range_correction_due_to_dry_troposphere (m)
Correction representative of dry gases in the troposphere; this must be
added to altimeter range.
altimeter_range (m)
height_above_reference_ellipsoid (m)
sea_surface_height_amplitude_due_to_geocentric_ocean_tide (m)
sea_surface_height_amplitude_due_to_earth_tide (m)
sea_surface_height_amplitude_due_to_pole_tide (m)
sea_surface_height_amplitude_due_to_equilibrium_ocean_tide (m)
sea_surface_height_amplitude_due_to_non_equilibrium_ocean_tide (m)
geoid_height_above_reference_ellipsoid (m)

The only point where I have doubts is about the pair:
mean_sea_surface_height_above_reference_ellipsoid (m)
mean_sea_surface_height_above_geoid (m)

Well, I already thought about using cell_methods, but I am not sure it
is a good idea: the dataset is based in grid points, and actually the
data themselves are not obtained by averaging sea_surface_height data
(in facts it is a more complex computing). That's why I think maybe we
should introduce standard names for these parameters too..Shouldn't we?

Cheers,

Olivier.