⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for ECHAM5/CLM/ERA

From: Heinke Hoeck <heinke.hoeck>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:34:28 +0100

Dear Jonathan

>> 'water_vapor_mixing_ratio'
>>
> Is this the same as humidity_mixing_ratio, which we already have?

I think you are right, but I was a little bit confused because water
vapor and humidity is not
the same.

water_vapor_mixing_ratio is more precisely but has the same definition as
humidity_mixing_ratio.
.

>> 'surface_background_albedo' (This is the albedo assuming no snow but the
>> albedo of vegetation, glacier and shelf)

o.k.
> Given the definition, it could be called surface_albedo_assuming_no_snow,
> which be consistent with the guidelines.
>

>> '-where_sea/lake-ice (except shelf)'
>> '-where_open_sea/lake'
>> '-where_land/shelf'
>>
> As you know, my cell_method proposal is to put "where" in the cell_methods
> rather than the standard name.
Yes, I know. I use it for a short description.
> What should these areas be called? Perhaps we
> should use / as you have, and call them "sea/lake_ice" and "ice_free_sea/lake"
> (in the trac ticket I have proposed ice_free_sea instead of open_sea, for
> clarity).
ice_free is much better.
> I would argue it is better to say "sea/lake_ice" than "ice", which
> is less informative (it could be land ice, for instance).
>
> Does "shelf" mean "continental shelf" or "ice shelf"?

It is ice shelf
> Maybe the solution to our problem with "sea" is to use the rather long, but
> explicit, "sea/lake/river" as a replacement for "sea" is standard names.

We would prefere Roy's proposal (25.2) to say water_body. In the
standard name description this could be explained:
water_body means sea, lake and river.

'water column - implies quality spatial coverage is all z at a given x,y
water body - implies quality spatial coverage is all x.y.z
water body sample (or water body water) - implies quality spatial coverage is point x.y.z [what we need?]'

cheers
Heinke