⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for ECHAM5/CLM/ERA

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:52:18 +0000

Dear Heinke

> water_vapor_mixing_ratio is more precisely but has the same definition as
> humidity_mixing_ratio.

I agree that water_vapor_mixing_ratio would be clearer.

> > Maybe the solution to our problem with "sea" is to use the rather long, but
> > explicit, "sea/lake/river" as a replacement for "sea" is standard names.
> >
> We would prefere Roy's proposal (25.2) to say water_body. In the
> standard name description this could be explained:
> water_body means sea, lake and river.

I feel that your explicit description is clearer; water_body is less obvious
to me. For instance, to replace the current standard_name
  sea_water_temperature
the choice is between
  lake/river/sea_water_temperature (I put them in alphabetical order)
or
  water_body_water_temperature
The former appears clearer to me, and is only slightly longer. I wonder what
other people think. Of course, there is also the option (assumed implicitly
up to now) to define "sea" to mean lake/river/sea, but I think that general
opinion is less happy with that.

Cheers

Jonathan