⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for ECHAM5/CLM/ERA

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:30:58 +0000

Dear Heinke

A few comments.
> 'water_vapor_mixing_ratio'
Is this the same as humidity_mixing_ratio, which we already have?

> 'surface_background_albedo' (This is the albedo assuming no snow but the
> albedo of vegetation, glacier and shelf)
Given the definition, it could be called surface_albedo_assuming_no_snow,
which be consistent with the guidelines.

> '-where_sea/lake-ice (except shelf)'
> '-where_open_sea/lake'
> '-where_land/shelf'
As you know, my cell_method proposal is to put "where" in the cell_methods
rather than the standard name. What should these areas be called? Perhaps we
should use / as you have, and call them "sea/lake_ice" and "ice_free_sea/lake"
(in the trac ticket I have proposed ice_free_sea instead of open_sea, for
clarity). I would argue it is better to say "sea/lake_ice" than "ice", which
is less informative (it could be land ice, for instance).

Does "shelf" mean "continental shelf" or "ice shelf"?

Maybe the solution to our problem with "sea" is to use the rather long, but
explicit, "sea/lake/river" as a replacement for "sea" is standard names.

Cheers

Jonathan