⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for ECHAM5/CLM/ERA

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 07:43:18 -0700

I wasn't sure why the term becomes 'water_body_water_temperature' and not just 'water_body_temperature'.

The analogous term sea_water_temperature seems to be redundant as to the medium, a 'sea' always being water. I assumed this just developed from common usage, people just called it 'sea water' (distinguishes from sea salt, sea life, but in this context 'sea_temperature' would have carried the semantic content) and therefore so did CF.

Are we running into an issue because these terms are being used both for the medium, and for a position description (in an X, Y location that is over/in/under a sea)? So you might have 'water_body_air_temperature'?

John

--
John Graybeal   <mailto:graybeal at mbari.org>  -- 831-775-1956