⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Hoedk/Stockhause standard names

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 01:33:53 +0100

Dear Heinke,

Apologies for the delay in replying.

> here my state of affairs with questions.
> I would like to start with the ECHAM(MPI-M), ERA40(ECMWF) and
> REMO(MPI-M) standard names and as a
> second step with the statistic indices.
> Do you agree ?

I certainly agree that it is a good idea to deal first with the more straightforward proposals.

> my proposal -> your proposal;unit my comment
>
> surface_downward_latent_heat_flux_accumulated ->
> integral_of_surface_downward_latent_heat_flux_wrt_time; W*s/m**2 o.k.
>
> surface_downward_sensible_heat_flux_accumulated ->
> integral_of_surface_downward_sensible_heat_flux_wrt_time; W*s/m**2 o.k.
>
> surface_net_downward_longwave_flux_accumulated ->
> integral_of_surface_net_downward_longwave_flux_wrt_time; W*s/m**2 o.k.
>
> surface_net_downward_shortwave_flux_accumulated ->
> integral_of_surface_net_downward_shortwave_flux_wrt_time; W*s/m**2 o.k.
>
> toa_net_downward_shortwave_flux_accumulated ->
> integral_of_toa_net_downward_shortwave_flux_wrt_time; W*s/m**2 o.k.
>
> toa_outgoing_longtwave_flux_accumulated ->
> integral_of_toa_outgoing_longwave_flux_wrt_time; W*s/m**2 o.k.

Fine - these names are agreed.

> forest_area_fraction -> area_fraction scalar coordinate variable of
> land_cover forest o.k

Fine. Area_fraction is already in the table so there is no need to add a new name.

I think some work needs to be done in the near future to standardize the values that land_cover may take and agree their meaning. For example, we need a definition of what constitutes "forest".

> snow_evaporation_amount ->
> lwe_thickness_of_surface_snow_sublimation_amount open question (surface)

> Alisons question:
>
> I am not entirely clear as to whether this is evaporation of snow
> lying on the surface, or of falling snow. Please could you clarify?
> In either case "amount" is used in standard names to mean "mass per
> unit area" which would not be appropriate for units of metres. I
> would suggest using "depth" rather than "amount". Also, if the snow
> is being converted directly to water vapour we should call it
> sublimation rather than evaporation.
>
> Sorry, but I have not got an answer, but it is in work. I think it is
> snow lying on the surface. But I would like to check it.

OK, thank you, I will wait for clarification.

You have given these names question marks on the right-hand side. I think in fact that we are already agreed that the names are fine and the only outstanding question is the definition of "where_ice". I would interpret "where_ice" to mean anywhere where there is either land or sea ice - do you agree with that?

> surface_total_downward_radiation -> surface_net_downward_radiative_flux
> o.k.

Fine - this one is agreed.

> With regards
> Heinke H?ck
> Max-Planck-Institut fuer Meteorologie (MPI-M) Tel +49 40 41173-465
> Abteilung Modelle und Daten Fax +49 40 41173-400
> Bundesstr. 53
> D-20146 Hamburg Germany
> Email: heinke.hoeck at zmaw.de
> http://www.mad.zmaw.de/

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: J.A.Pamment at rl.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.