⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Hoedk/Stockhause standard names

From: Heinke Hoeck <heinke.hoeck>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:14:33 +0200

Dear Alison,
here are my answers:
>> snow_evaporation_amount ->
>> lwe_thickness_of_surface_snow_sublimation_amount open question (surface)

>> Alisons question:
>>
>> I am not entirely clear as to whether this is evaporation of snow
>> lying on the surface, or of falling snow. Please could you clarify?
>> In either case "amount" is used in standard names to mean "mass per
>> unit area" which would not be appropriate for units of metres. I
>> would suggest using "depth" rather than "amount". Also, if the snow
>> is being converted directly to water vapour we should call it
>> sublimation rather than evaporation.
>>
>> Sorry, but I have not got an answer, but it is in work. I think it is
>> snow lying on the surface. But I would like to check it.
>>

> OK, thank you, I will wait for clarification.

Here Manuel Fuentes (ECMWF) answers:
> 2) In the ECMWF standard table 128 the variable "044 ES Snow
> evaporation of water" is unclear - does it refer only to lying snow or
> to falling snow as well?

I have asked the experts, and this is their reply:

It refers to snow on the ground. So it is a flux from the surface into
into the atmosphere through the conversion of snow into water vapour.

> You have given these names question marks on the right-hand side. I think in fact that we are already agreed that the names are fine and the only outstanding question is the definition of "where_ice". I would interpret "where_ice" to mean anywhere where there is either land or sea ice - do you agree with that?

surface_net_downward_shortwave_flux_where_ice
where_ice means sea ice or lake ice
But I think we should wait for the cell-method discussion about the
where condition.
What do you think ?

Best wishes,
Heinke