⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Use of Standard Names and Coordinate Variables(relevant to the aerosol discussion)

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:00:30 +0100

Dear all,

Concerning the PM (particulate mass) variables I would like to include
the relative humidity as a coordinate variable and not as part of the
standard_name.

Below I have copied an email from Jean-Philippe Putaud
(jean.putaud at jrc.it) about this issue, that convinced me that this is a
better way to clearly define these variables. In addition, at the US the
most common RH for PM measurements seems to be 30%.

I have changed the PM variables on the wiki page, e.g.:

mass_fraction_of_pm10_aerosol_in_air
The relative humidity should be given as as scalar coordinate variables
using the standard name relative_humidity

But for the optical depth we define e.g.

pm10_ambient_aerosol_optical_depth
The wavelength should be given as as scalar coordinate variables using
the standard name radiation_wavelength

Is it a good idea to define the mass for pm10 at a RH given as
coordinate variable, and the optical depth at ambient RH?

Best regards,
Christiane