⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] species as species in chemical and aerosol names - emissions

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:11:44 +0100

Dear all,

There have been quite some discussion within HTAP about
surface_emissions and atmosphere_emissions.

My intension was to specify surface_emission which refers to sources
physically located at the Earth surface, like e.g. sea salt emissions.
The term atmosphere_emission refers to sources within the atmosphere.
(Just to clarify: atmosphere_emissions does not specify the dimensions
of the field, it could be 1, 2, or 3 dimensional in space.)

In HTAP, we requested for both a 2d field, the latter obtained from
vertical integration of the 3d field. There was some confusion about the
difference, people thought that surface_emission (2d) was obtained from
  vertically integrating the 3d atmosphere_emissions.

However, several of the fields we specified as surface_emissions do also
have atmospheric emissions. Therefore I have transformed
surface_emission to atmosphere_emission in the list of proposed
chemistry & aerosol names on the wiki page. Atmosphere_emissions is the
more general term as it includes surface emissions. In case pure
surface_emissions are needed, a standard_name can be suggested to CF in
a later phase.

In addition, I have updated:
atmosphere_emission_mass_flux_of_secondary_organic_carbon_expressed_as_such_dry_aerosol
changed to
atmosphere_production_mass_flux_of_secondary_organic_carbon_expressed_as_such_dry_aerosol
because SOA is not emitted but chemically produced within the atmosphere

Best regards,
Christiane

--
Christiane Textor