⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] quantities requiring parameters to define them

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:51:44 -0600

Hi Jonathan,

I find this use of formula_terms confusing.

The problem you describe seems like a good candidate for the
ancillary_variables attribute and the standard_name modifiers.
Your example might be expressed like this:

variables:
  float ild(time,lat,lon)
    ild:standard_name="ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_diagnosed_from_temperature";
    ild:units="m";
    ild:ancillary_variables = "tanom";
  float pottem(time,level,lat,lon);
    pottem:standard_name = "sea_water_potential_temperature";
    pottem:units = "degC" ;
    pottem:ancillary_variables = "pref";
  float tanom;
    tanom:units="degC";
    tanom:standard_name="sea_water_temperature difference";
  float pref;
    pref:units="dbar";
    pref:standard_name="air_pressure reference";
data:
  tanom=0.5;
  pref=2000;

and then we'd only need to add "difference" and "reference" to the modifier
list in appendix C.

Brian