⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] quantities requiring parameters to define them

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:04:27 +0100

Dear Brian

That's an interesting idea. It didn't occur to me because these parameters
*define* the quantity in a sense, while the definition of ancillary data says
"When one data variable provides metadata about the individual values of
another data variable ..." so didn't seem to be applicable.

The two methods are approximately equally complicated in practice!

> I find this use of formula_terms confusing.
Why? I find it somewhat analogous to the existing use of formula_terms. It
points to numbers which have been used in some formula relating to the
quantity. It's not an exact analogy though.

An advantage of the formula_terms approach is that it would be natural to
have some specific information about the parameters for each standard_name
with which the attribute could be used. That is exactly what we need.
standard_name modifiers, however, are generic. They are defined without
reference to particular standard names.

Cheers

Jonathan