⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] quantities requiring parameters to define them

From: Derrick Snowden <Derrick.Snowden>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:10:25 -0400

All,

I agree with Brian's assessment of formula_terms, but nevertheless, I think
they may provide the better solution. In the example below, I find myself
asking, "difference from what", when looking at the tanom specification.
With a little insight and experience, most users of the data could figure out
the meaning of the data if only this file were available. But, I think the
solution adopted for this situation is going to be challenged by the next
level of complexity a user experiences.

For example, with observational ocean profiles, you frequently encounter
different reference pressures for different levels in the water column. In
the upper 500 meters one may use pref=0 to calculate potential temperature
and potential density frequently called sigma-zero in the literature. Then
between z=500m and z=1500m pref=1000 is used to deriv sigma-one etc. So, one
ends up with a formula which differs in its parameters based on values of the
independent variables. This could be solved but next, we'll see neutral
density (commonly called gamma) which is defined with respect to an
independent set of 3d data, not just a formula. Sooner or later, it will
require just pointing to a URL with a description as was suggested for "terms
of use" information a few weeks ago.

I guess my question is, where is the practical division between relying on a
user's intuition or knowledge and creating "fully self describing" data sets?
Analogously, what is required in order to claim that a data file is CF-1.0
compliant and what is recommended?

Anyone care to comment?

Best Regards,
Derrick Snowden