⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Final 17 terms for CMIP6 LS3MIP.

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 06:05:40 +0000

Dear Alison,

That looks good. I agree with your suggestions, and have a few comments here.

1.1 albc Canopy Albedo

I think it is worth adding an additional sentence explicitly stating the difference between canopy_albedo and the closely related concept of surface_albedo with area type vegetation: "The surface_albedo restricted to area type vegetation is related to canopy_albedo, but the former also includes the effect of radiation being reflected from the ground underneath the canopy."

3.1 hfrs Heat transferred to snowpack by rainfall [W m-2]

I have heard back from Hyungjun Kim, and this term should represent the same thermodynamic quantity as the variable hfrainds, which was in CMIP5 with temperature_flux_due_to_rainfall_expressed_as_heat_flux_into_sea_water. The definition of this CF term, which Alison has copied into the discussion below, make it clear that it relates to the flux of sensible heat (i.e. thermal energy) associated with the a temperature anomaly relative to zero Celsius. The fact that it is not the full thermal energy of the rain drops, but only an anomaly component evidently makes the naming harder. The phrase "temperature flux" appears to come from some work by Stommel, who made use of a related term, albeit with different units. I agree with Karl that it is not a very helpful term here, and it would be even more unhelpful if we take it out of the oceanography context and into a land snow term.

Oceanographers refer to the "temperature anomaly relative to zero Celsius" as "the temperature in units of degrees Celsius", which is obviously correct -- up to a point, yet, in an obscure way, not quite right when transplanted into the CF list and the mandated adoption of the UNIDATA interpretation of units. Converting "emperature in units of degrees Celsius" to Kelvin gives a different answer to converting "temperature anomaly relative to zero Celsius" to Kelvin: here we want the latter, so it is important to be explicit that we are talking about a temperature anomaly.

The word "anomaly" is most often used in the CF standard names to refer to an anomaly relative to climatology, but I think we can use it for an anomaly relative to 0 degC -- unless there is a better word?

Hence, I suggest:

surface_downward_sensible_heat_flux_due_to_rainfall_temperature_anomaly

The rainfall temperature anomaly is the temperature of the snow relative to the zero Celsius. The sensible heat flux due the rainfall temperature anomaly is the product of three terms: the rainfall mass flux, the specific heat capacity of the rain and the temperature anomaly.

For the term hfrs this should be used with area type snow. The name temperature_flux_due_to_rainfall_expressed_as_heat_flux_into_sea_water could be aliased to this new term, and hfrainds would then need to use area type ice free sea.

> 5. River in- and out-flow [2]
> river_water_volume_transport_into_cell
> river_water_volume_transport_out_of_cell

Jonathan has suggested using "upstream" and "downstream" instead of into/out_of cell ... to avoid making the term specific to model grid cells. I don't think that will work here. The key concept is flow inwards vs. flow outwards across the boundary of the cell. It could be expressed relative to a region which defaults to the grid cell. But the terms could be expressed in a more generic way.

I also notice that we already have a CF term water_volume_transport_in_river_channel which we should perhaps adapt here. We could also follow the convention established for upward/downward and put the directional modifier in front of the term being modified. hence:

inward_water_volume_transport_in_river_channel

outward_water_volume_transport_in_river_channel

"An inward flux or transport is the sum of all transport that is directed inwards across the boundary of an area. By default the area is a model grid cell, but other areas may be specified using a region coordinate" , and similar for outward.

However, I can see that the first of these terms might be misread as transport *into* the rive channel, rather than transport *in* the channel. Any other suggestions?

regards,

Martin