⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Herbaceous vegetation area type and a new LULCC carbon flux standard name for LUMIP

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 06:48:21 +0000

Hello All,

We have two outstanding CF metadata requirements for the LUMIP CMIP6 data request.

(1) An area type is needed for non-woody, or herbaceous, vegetation.

LUMIP variable: nwdFracLut Percentage of land use tile that is non-woody vegetation ( e.g. herbaceous crops)

Plants can be divided into "woody" and "herbaceous" categories. The "woody" plants have stems which are adapted to survive harsh winters without any leaf cover.

Proposed area_type: herbaceous_vegetation

Herbaceous plants are plants with very flexible stems. Their leaves and stems die down to soil level at the end of every growing season. Herbaceous plants can be annual, biennial or perennial.

(2) fLulccAtmLut carbon transferred directly to atmosphere due to any land-use or land-cover change activities including deforestation or agricultural fire [kg m-2 s-1]

The new requirement here is the identification of "direct" transfer into the atmosphere, which means direct from the soil and vegetation to the atmosphere, excluding fluxes that enter the atmosphere through a pathway which involves intermediary stages as forestry and agricultural products (e.g. wood harvested for energy generation).

There is an existing name for a flux which includes the fluxes via forestry and agricultural products:

"surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_anthropogenic_land_use_or_land_cover_change".

I propose extending this name to express the exclusion of the "products":
"surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_anthropogenic_land_use_or_land_cover_change_excluding_forestry_and_agricultural_products"

regards,
Martin