⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Four standard names for the AerChemMIP data request

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 09:40:05 +0000

Hello All,

We require four additional standard names for AerChemMIP, for 3 parameters plus one for a threshold.

(1) lossn2o: Monthly Loss of atmospheric Nitrous Oxide [mol m-3 s-1]

This is very similar to the existing CF Standard name for methane loss rate: tendency_of_atmosphere_mole_concentration_of_methane_due_to_chemical_destruction,
so we propose:
"tendency_of_atmosphere_of_mole_concentration_of_nitrous_oxide_due_to_chemical_destruction"

(2) bs550aer: Aerosol backscatter coefficient [m-1 sr-1]

Description: The intensity (flux per unit solid angle) of scattered radiation per unit length of scattering medium, normalised by the incident radiation flux, at an angle of 180 degrees to the incident radiation, and at a wavelength of 550nm, for scattering off ambient aerosol particles.

This can be encoded using a variable with coordinates specifying scattering_angle=180 degrees and a radiation_wavelength=550nm.

The phrases "backward scattering" and "backscattering" are used in the CF standard name list to refer to "the sum of scattering into all backward angles i.e. scattering_angle exceeding pi/2 radians", so cannot be used here.

There are 3 existing CF names with units of "m-1 sr-1". Two of these are defined as sums over all backward angles (volume_attenuated_backwards_scattering_function_in_air and volume_attenuated_backwards_scattering_function_in_air_assuming_no_aerosol_or_cloud), so are not relevant here. The third is "volume_scattering_function_of_radiative_flux_in_sea_water", which provides a pattern for a new name. The help text for this name refers to the ?fraction of incident radiative flux scattered into unit solid angle per unit path length?, which I find slightly misleading because we are dealing with the intensity of reflected radiation per ster radian, not an amount reflected into a finite solid angle, so I would like to update this wording.

Proposed name: volume_scattering_function_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol_particles
"The volume scattering function is the intensity (flux per unit solid angle) of scattered radiation per unit length of scattering medium, normalised by the incident radiation flux. The (range of) direction(s) of scattering can be specified by a coordinate of scattering_angle. A coordinate variable of radiation_wavelength or radiation_frequency can be specified to indicate that the scattering applies at specific wavelengths or frequencies.?

(3a) pod0: Phytotoxic ozone dose [mol m-2 s-1]
Accumulated stomatal ozone flux over the threshold of 0 mol m-2 s-1; Computation: Time Integral of (hourly above canopy ozone concentration * stomatal conductance * Rc/(Rb+Rc).

The direction of the flux is implicitly into the plant. The proposal is to follow the approach used for variables such as rainfall_flux and not mention the direction of the flux in the name, but make it explicit in the description, since it may not be obvious to everyone that stomatal flux of ozone is necessarily inwards.

Proposed name: integral_wrt_time_of_stomatal_ozone_flux_excess
The CF standard name definition would then be:
The phrase "integral_wrt_X_of_Y" means int Y dX. The data variable should have an axis for X specifying the limits of the integral as bounds. The term "wrt" means ?with respect to?. The chemical formula for ozone is O3. The stomatal ozone flux excess is the stomatal ozone flux into the plant minus the threshold value, where only positive values are included in the integral. This parameter is often called the ?phytotoxic ozone dose (POD)?. The data variable carrying this standard name should have a scalar coordinate variable or a size-one coordinate variable with the standard name of stomatal_ozone_flux_threshold, to indicate the threshold.

(3b) stomatal_ozone_flux_threshold [mol m-2 s-1]

A standard name to be used on variable specifying a threshold value of stomatal ozone flux.

regards,
Martin