⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Herbaceous vegetation area type and a new LULCC carbon flux standard name for LUMIP

From: Alison Pamment - UKRI STFC <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 14:35:53 +0000

Dear Martin,

Thank you for the proposals for one new standard name and one new area type for LUMIP.

1. Proposed area_type: herbaceous_vegetation
'Herbaceous plants are plants with very flexible stems. Their leaves and stems die down to soil level at the end of every growing season. Herbaceous plants can be annual, biennial or perennial.'

This proposal has not received any comments on the list, however I think it looks fine so it is accepted. I will update the area_type table at the same time as the standard name table on 14th May.

2. Proposed standard name: surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_anthropogenic_land_use_or_land_cover_change_excluding_forestry_and_agricultural_products (kg m-2 s-1)
'The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. "Upward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed upward (negative downward). In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. The chemical formula for carbon dioxide is CO2. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "Anthropogenic" means influenced, caused, or created by human activity. "Anthropogenic land use change" means human changes to land, excluding forest regrowth. It includes fires ignited by h
umans for the purpose of land use change. The quantity with standard name surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_anthropogenic_land_use_or_land_cover_change_excluding_forestry_and_agricultural_products excludes the carbon dioxide flux into the atmosphere due to the processes of eventual disposal and decomposition of wood products such as paper, cardboard, furniture and timber for construction. The standard name for the quantity that includes product decomposition is surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_anthropogenic_land_use_or_land_cover_change.'

This proposal has not received any comments on the list. As you pointed out in the proposal, this one is simply an extension of the existing name surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_anthropogenic_land_use_or_land_cover_change that includes product decomposition. I have constructed the definition so as to explain the difference between the two.

The name, units and definition are fine so this one is accepted and will be included in the May standard name table update.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065