⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Another CF complaince checker -- from IOOS --- with some issues

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 14:49:48 -0700

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 6:45 AM, Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk
> wrote:

> perhaps it would be possible for
> us to maintain a netCDF file containing an example of every possible
> violation of a requirement or recommendation in the CF conformance
> document,

Without thinking it through, I suspect that it is literally impossible to
put it all in one file -- aren't there examples of "do it this way OR that
way", and "fi this, then do that", that you couldn't have data that both
does and doesn't conform in one file.

So a set of files would be the way to go -- and would be easier to manage
as well.

Also, expecting that we could have a COMPLETE test set is a bit of a
fantasy.

However, a most-cases test set of files would be really useful.

I think the "trick" would be to establish a data structure that maps a
particular file with a set of what parts of CF are violated, and what
recommendations are violated.

The CF-checkers could then check what they find against that data. And it
would be easy to simply update a file and/or drop a new one into the set
and the checker would update its tests.

A glance at the Python cf-checker code looks like there's a lot of test
fies already in there,

https://github.com/cedadev/cf-checker/tree/master/test_files

though it looks to me (at a really quick glance) like the accompanying
"check" files are output from cf-checker -- so maybe not a good way to
specify what cf-checker SHOULD return.

And if anyone wants to write a cf-checker in another language, it would be
nice to have the "errors" specified in a simple to read file format (JSON?)

and maybe an example of everything which is described as legal e.g. all the
> actual examples in the conventions document, and some more.

again, hard to put in one file :-) -- but yes, a good set of "perfect"
files would be good, too.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.