⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Another CF complaince checker -- from IOOS --- with some issues

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 14:45:09 +0100

Dear Martin

I don't think it's practicable for the CF community to undertake to verify
applications as CF-compliant, just as we can't do it with datasets. There are
many datasets in existence which claim to be CF-compliant but are not. However
for the specific aim of compliance checking, perhaps it would be possible for
us to maintain a netCDF file containing an example of every possible
violation of a requirement or recommendation in the CF conformance document,
and maybe an example of everything which is described as legal e.g. all the
actual examples in the conventions document, and some more. Accompanying this
would be a list of the errors and warnings that ought to be found. Thus it
would be a resource for checking the CF-compliance of CF-compliance checkers!
These seems achievable in principle to me, but I'm not sure whether we have
the effort to do it, or whether it would be useful. What do you think?

----- Forwarded message from martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk -----