⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name for CDOM

From: Matthias Lankhorst <mlankhorst>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 16:03:56 -0800

Hi,

I am looking to publish CDOM (colored dissolved organic matter) data
from CTD casts, and cannot find a suitable standard name. The
measurement is similar to that of chlorophyll fluorescence, but the
wavelengths are tuned to detect this other material rather than
chlorophyll. The sensor in question is a WETLabs ECO fluorometer.

Existing names are as follows:

concentration_of_colored_dissolved_organic_matter_in_sea_water_expressed_as_equivalent_mass_fraction_of_quinine_sulfate_dihydrate

mass_concentration_of_chlorophyll_in_sea_water

I understand that the property CDOM is vaguely defined. It is not one
specific substance, but rather a mix of many. Should I somehow find a
way to express my data in that first standard name? I have no idea what
that quinine stuff is though, or how I could convert my bulk
measurements to that equivalent.

Or else, should we create one of the following new names (either one
will work for me):

mass_concentration_of_colored_dissolved_organic_matter_in_sea_water
(canonical units would be kg / m3)

mass_fraction_of_colored_dissolved_organic_matter_in_sea_water
(canonical units would be 1)

Regards, Matthias

--
 Dr. Matthias Lankhorst