⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name for CDOM

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 09:33:41 +0000

Hello Matthias,

The Standard Name:

concentration_of_colored_dissolved_organic_matter_in_sea_water_expressed_as_equivalent_mass_fraction_of_quinine_sulfate_dihydrate

was set up to describe the measurements made by an ECO. Providing you have done nothing to recalibrate the data from the CTD then it will accurately describe your data. It refers to a protocol used to calibrate the sensor using standard solutions of quinine sulfate dihydride that has a very similar fluorescence response to CDOM. The resulting coefficients are applied to the raw sensor output by the instrument software. The Standard Name has been adopted by several communities in Europe.

Cheers, Roy.

Please note that I partially retired on 01/11/2015. I am now only working 7.5 hours a week and can only guarantee e-mail response on Wednesdays, my day in the office. All vocabulary queries should be sent to enquiries at bodc.ac.uk. Please also use this e-mail if your requirement is urgent.