⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New LUMIP variables

From: David Lawrence <dlawren>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 09:16:18 -0700

I checked with Chris Jones of C4MIP and he argues for (a) and I agree.

For the record, here is what Chris wrote:

Just to be clear ? we?re not proposing changing the short name (cProduct)?
Just the long name which is more descriptive? In which case I?m fairly
happy with either of those. I think in the community (a) is closer to what
people talk about. ?Product pool? is a fairly common-usage term isn?t it? I
would perhaps shy away from saying ?harvest? because that makes people (me
at least) think straight of crops, where here we mean wood harvest too.

In terms of the flux names, we tried to detail these in our GMD paper (
http://www.geosci-model-dev.net/9/2853/2016/ ) so people could see exactly
what flux comes FROM and goes TO which pool. See our figure 6. Here we have
two distinct fluxes INTO the product pool (fDeforestToProduct and
fHarvesttoProduct). So again that would make me shy away from using
?harvest? to cover all of it. The flux back to the atmosphere is then
?fProductDecomp?, so the long name in (a) fits better.

So to cut a long-story short! I?d vote for (a).