⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] radiosonde ascent rate?

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 16:30:59 -0400

Leslie,

That sounds like a good name, assuming that you really need one. CF does
not require a standard name for every variable. The primary intention of
standard names is to make it easier to see that you are comparing apples
to apples with data (or at least quinces to apples, as opposed to
hat-racks to apples).

If you think the benefits of having a standard name are great enough to
go through the minimal bother, then make a "formal" request in an email
to the list.

Grace and peace,

Jim

On 8/29/16 3:10 PM, Leslie Hartten (NOAA Affiliate) wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I am putting together a radiosonde dataset and trying hard to stick
> with CF Standard Names. I have combed through the table
> (http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-standard-names/current/build/cf-standard-name-table.html)
> and this list's archives, but found nothing that would obviously work
> as a name for the ascent rate of a radiosonde. At present, I have
> taken the name " platform_speed_wrt_ground" and prefaced it with
> "upward_", since there is horizontal motion w/r/to the ground that is
> not considered in this variable.
>
> Does anyone have an already legal suggestion for radiosonde ascent
> rate? Should I request a new variable,
> "upward_platform_speed_wrt_ground"?
>
> Many thanks for any assistance. I never even knew about CF standard
> names until I started QC'ing data from our field program and trying to
> create good data files!
>
> Cheers,
> Leslie
> --
> Dr. Leslie M. Hartten
> CIRES, Univ. of Colorado email: Leslie.M.Hartten at noaa.gov
> 216 UCB web: http://cires.colorado.edu/~hartten
> Boulder CO 80309-0216 phone: (303)497-7052 fax: 497-6181
> --
> Disclaimer: The contents of this message are mine personally and do
> not necessarily reflect any position of the Government of the United
> States of America, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
> Administration, or the University of Colorado.

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900
/Connect with us on Facebook for climate
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us
on Twitter at _at_NOAANCEIclimate <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and
_at_NOAANCEIocngeo <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>. /