⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name for mass_fraction_of_petroleum_in_sea_water

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 14:09:59 -0700

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Thanks - I understand. In choosing CF standard names we generally assume
> that
> the intention is to be comprehensive by default, and we add more words in
> order
> to be specific, for example atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_cloud means
> all kinds of cloud, and
> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_convective_cloud
> is more restrictive. Omitting "total" in your name would be consistent with
> this pattern, in order to mean all phases.

Indeed -- however, the "total" in "total petroleum hydrocarbons" is very
much part of the name in common usage. And I think the "total" refers both
to phase: droplets vs dissolved, and also to the multiple compounds and
classes of compound, like in contrast, with, say" Polycyclic aromatic
hydrocarbon" (PAH). So I say we keep the "total" in the name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_petroleum_hydrocarbon

If someone is concerned about what the instrument measures, I'd ask someone
technical at the company of TPH captures it for them.

(after all, what the instrument REALLY measures is Fluorescence...)

-CHB

> --

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 fax
Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 526-6317 main reception

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov