⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name for mass_fraction_of_petroleum_in_sea_water

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 14:03:37 -0700

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 1:58 AM, Lowry, Roy K. <rkl at bodc.ac.uk> wrote:

> This will obviously take time

indeed it will!

> and so you're proposing a generic Name with the contaminant specified in
> the long name as a stop-gap. This causes me some concern from an
> interoperability perspective because it could easily leak out of the oil
> contamination community into pesticides, metals and so on

someone else had suggested "contaminant" -- but I liked the idea precisely
because it could be used for any number of contaminants -- nice and
generic, and usable without need to create a new standard name for
everything one might conceivably measure or model. For instance, I work in
the "Hazmat" spill biz -- we may be modeling who knows what in the future
-- we certainly can't go through a standard name convention process each
time someone goes and spills something new.

But perhaps a petroleum specific one would be good instead (Or in
addition?).

> and there is so much potential for synonyms and even misspellings with
> plain language descriptions of these. Others in CF may also have views on
> establishing this as a precedent.

I'm happy with whatever the CF community thinks is best.

> Personally, I would prefer an approach of having a Name specifically
> targeted at the SeaOWL measurements

What is the president there? Do we have any standard name specific to a
particular instrument? that sure seems like something for the other
metadata to me...

But if we did do that we should talk to someone at the company and see what
they say it measures -- rather than use a term from the marketing
materials...

> with the possibility of later replacement through deprecation if it
> doesn't fit your holistic solution.

let's try to avoid that.

I like some spelling of TPH -- it's a commonly used, and would be still
useful once we have a more complete solution for oil spill modeling
results.

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer