⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name for mass_fraction_of_petroleum_in_sea_water

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 06:52:23 +0000

Thanks Chris,

Totally agree - I was planning to say exactly this in a posting later today.

Actually the SeaOWL measures both fluorescence and backscatter, but that's nit-picking. Chlorophyll fluorometers have Standard Names pertaining to chlorophyll concentration - it's the geophysical phenomenon resulting post-calibration that counts. In the case of the SeaOWL this is described in the instrument specification as 'crude oil'.

Note that I wasn't suggesting ONLY fulfilling the SeaOWL use case, just getting something in place quickly that covers it. Covering other use cases - without going too generic - is all to the good in my view.

So, I'm still rooting for 'mass_fraction_of_crude_oil_in_sea_water' or 'mass_concentration_of_crude_oil_in_sea_water'.

Cheers, Roy.

Please note that I partially retired on 01/11/2015. I am now only working 7.5 hours a week and can only guarantee e-mail response on Wednesdays, my day in the office. All vocabulary queries should be sent to enquiries at bodc.ac.uk. Please also use this e-mail if your requirement is urgent.