⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Waves

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 14:46:17 -0700

just a little note:

- *sea_surface_wave_significant_height*Wave height is defined as the
distance from a wave trough to the following wave crest.

> NOTE: the is the VERTICAL distance -- difference in elevation between the
bottom of a trough and top of the crest. this wording sounds a lot like a
horizontal distance -- a totally different concept. Anyone that words with
waves knows this, of course, but if we're going to have definitpons they
should be clear to lay people, too.

Significant wave height is a statistic computed from wave measurements
collected during an
> observation period that approximates to the wave height that would be recorded visually by a human observer during that observation period.
>
> this is a bit tricky -- yes, that's what significant wave height means,
but it is often (usually?) used now to mean the height of the highest
third, perhaps that goes in the long name, but I think it should probably
be in the description, as that's how it's actually measured/computed these
days.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.