⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Waves

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 21:56:06 +0000

Thanks Chris,

An excellent point, and the word 'vertical' should be added to the definitions.

I was wondering about including highest one-third in the Hs definition, but there are alternatives and I tried to find an understandable form of words covering all and failed dismally. Maybe something like:?

Significant wave height is a statistic computed from wave measurements collected during an
observation period that approximates to the wave height that would be recorded visually by a human observer during that observation period.

This corresponds to the average height of the highest one third of the waves.

Cheers, Roy.

Please note that I partially retired on 01/11/2015. I am now only working 7.5 hours a week and can only guarantee e-mail response on Wednesdays, my day in the office. All vocabulary queries should be sent to enquiries at bodc.ac.uk. Please also use this e-mail if your requirement is urgent.