⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Waves

From: Elodie Fernandez <elodie.fernandez>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 16:16:39 +0200

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
I think Roy's "4-steps" work plan is a great idea to keep things
manageable. Thanks Roy!
We, Marta and I, agree with your suggestions Roy and Jonathan.
So, to summarize, for height parameters, we have:

- *sea_surface_wave_significant_height*
Wave height is defined as the distance from a wave trough to the following wave crest. Significant wave height is a statistic computed from wave measurements collected during an
observation period that approximates to the wave height that would be recorded visually by a human observer during that observation period.

- *sea_surface_wave_maximum_height *
Wave height is defined as the distance from a wave trough to the
following wave crest. The maximum wave height is the greatest trough to
crest distance measured during the observation period.

- *sea_surface_wave_mean_height *
Wave height is defined as the distance from a wave trough to the
following wave crest. The average wave height is the average trough to
crest distance measured during the observation period.

- *sea_surface_wave_mean_height_of_highest_tenth*
Wave height is defined as the distance from a wave trough to the
following wave crest. The height of the highest tenth is defined as the
average of the highest ten per cent of trough to crest distances
measured during the observation period.

- *sea_surface_wave_maximum_crest_height*
The crest is the highest point of a wave. Crest height is the distance
between the crest and the calm sea surface. Maximum crest height is the
maximum value measured during the observation period.

- *sea_surface_wave_maximum_trough_depth*
The trough is the lowest point of a wave. Trough depth is the distance
between the trough and the calm sea surface. Maximum trough depth is the
maximum value measured during the observation period.

- *sea_surface_wind_wave_significant_height*
definition of "sea_surface_wave_significant_height" + Wind waves are the high frequency portion of a bimodal wave frequency spectrum.

- *sea_surface_swell_wave_significant_height*
definition of "sea_surface_wave_significant_height" + Swell waves are the low frequency portion of a bimodal wave frequency spectrum.

- *sea_surface_primary_swell_wave_significant_height*
definition of "sea_surface_wave_significant_height" + The primary swell
wave is the most energetic wave in the low frequency portion of a
bimodal wave frequency spectrum.

- *sea_surface_secondary_swell_significant_height*
definition of "sea_surface_wave_significant_height" + The secondary
swell wave is the second most energetic wave in the low frequency
portion of a bimodal wave frequency spectrum.

Cheers,
Elodie