⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Copernicus Marine Service standard_names

From: Elodie Fernandez <elodie.fernandez>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 10:03:20 +0200

Dear all,

This is my first post to the list, so I hope I'm doing things "right". I
work at Mercator Ocean, for the European Copernicus Marine Service
(http://marine.copernicus.eu/). I am now in charge of making sure that
the products we disseminate are CF compliant, and a big part of that
task is to ensure that our parameters follow the standard_name table.
Most of what we use is already described and available in the table.
Thanks for a great job maintaining this table! But some parameters are
not yet described.

I found these standard_names in the list of proposals. As far as I can
tell, it seems to be agreed they should be added to the standard name
table, but it hasn't happened yet. Can you tell me more about their status?

- divergence_of_surface_downward_stress
Proposed by Bruce Hackett on January 2016
- curl_of_surface_downward_stress
Proposed by Bruce Hackett on January 2016
- sea_water_potential_temperature_at_sea_floor
Proposed by Jonathan Gregory/Stephen Griffies in January 2015

I also would like to suggest the addition of the following
standard_name:
"mole_concentration_of_zooplankton_expressed_as_nitrogen_in_sea_water".
Standard_names already exist for the microzooplankton and the
mesozooplankton, but not for the total zooplankton. A name also exists
for the total zooplankton expressed as carbon in sea water. I tried
building a definition using the already existing ones for micro and meso
zooplankton.

- mole_concentration_of_zooplankton_expressed_as_nitrogen_in_sea_water
unit: mol/m3
definition: Mole concentration means number of moles per unit volume,
also called "molarity", and is used in the construction
mole_concentration_of_X_in_Y, where X is a material constituent of Y. A
chemical species denoted by X may be described by a single term such as
'nitrogen' or a phrase such as 'nox_expressed_as_nitrogen'. The phrase
'expressed_as' is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is
a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the
standard name is calculated in terms of B alone, neglecting all other
chemical constituents of A. Standard names also exist for the mole
concentration of a number of components that make up the total
zooplankton population, such as mesozooplankton, and microzooplankton.

I am also working on preparing the next release of the European
Copernicus Marine Service that will include waves. We are planning on
introducing 35 variables, of which only 7 have already existing
standard_names. What do you think is the best way to proceed? Start a
new thread on this topic and propose for each variable a standard_name,
unit and definition?

Best regards,
Elodie Fernandez