⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] question about proper cell bounds for ocean_volume_transport_across_line

From: Matthias Lankhorst <mlankhorst>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 08:25:01 -0700

Dear CF,

what is the proper way to define the shape and boundaries of an oceanic
section, for which I want to report the volume transport across that
section?

The use case is an irregular-shaped section like OSNAP
(http://www.o-snap.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/20160329_OSNAP_planeview.jpg), and the property to be reported is the seawater volume transport in a given depth range as a timeseries with this CF standard_name:
ocean_volume_transport_across_line

There needs to be some ancillary variable to say what the line
coordinates are, and I am not sure how to squeeze that into
"cell_bounds".

In addition, how about the lower limit vertically if this is the
seafloor? If the transports were to be everything below e.g. 1000 m,
would it be appropriate to state vertical cell bounds as 1000 to 5000 m,
even if the ocean is not 5000 m deep? I.e. is the user intelligent
enough to realize that "5000" really means "5000 m or the seafloor,
whichever is shallower"?

Thanks, Matthias

--
 Dr. Matthias Lankhorst