⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] cells with different numbers of vertices

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 11:44:52 -0700

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Karl Taylor <taylor13 at llnl.gov> wrote:

> For unstructured grids when some cells are quadralaterals and others are
> pentagons, the convention stipulates that bounds should be dimensioned
> (n,5) so that the lat and lon locations of all 5 penatagon vertices can be
> recorded. My question is what to do about the extra vertex for the
> quadralaterals? Should we define a "missing_value" and store it in the
> unused vertex location?

Take a look at the UGRID conventions:

http://ugrid-conventions.github.io/ugrid-conventions/

In there, the lat-lon are specified in a nodes array, and the cells are
specified as indexes into that nodes array.

In the case of cells of different order, the "extra" indexes use a missing
value, usually -1.

That should be defined as the _FillValue.

This is under debate right now, but I think that's where it is headed:

https://github.com/ugrid-conventions/ugrid-conventions/issues/26

(someone still needs to update the text)

BTW, as I read the latest convensions:

http://cfconventions.org/cf-conventions/v1.6.0/cf-conventions.html#missing-data

you want to use _FillValue if there is only one "Missing" value needed.

If so, perhaps we should make this clear in the convention document.

Where does the CF conventions address this issue (i.e. unstructured grids)
at all?

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.