⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for flood simulation

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 16:26:07 +0000

Dear Eizi,

My apologies for not joining the original discussion of these names ? I was on annual leave at the time. I?ve added entries for all your proposals to the list of names under discussion: http://cfeditor.ceda.ac.uk/proposals/1?status=active&namefilter=&proposerfilter=Eizi&descfilter=&unitfilter=&yearfilter=&commentfilter=&filter+and+display=Filter.

Regarding the earlier discussion about sea_water, estuaries, rivers, runoff, etc., we have had previous conversations on the mailing list about a generic name for bodies of water on the earth?s surface, but have never reached agreement on a suitable term. I think flood_water is a useful way of describing temporary surface water ? if in future there is a need to further distinguish between storm surges, tsunamis, and so on, then we can always introduce more specific standard names.

The following is a summary of the current status of your proposals. I have taken into account the discussion in this thread and in some cases I have modified the definitions a little for consistency with existing names. In particular, I have added wording in the definitions of the names requiring thresholds to make them consistent with the recent discussions we had on GOES-R standard names. If you are happy with these suggestions then I think we can go ahead and accept all the names for publication in the standard name table.

1. flood_water_thickness (m)
'The flood_water_thickness is the vertical distance between the surface of the flood water and the surface of the solid ground, as measured at a given point in space. The standard name ground_level_altitude is used for a data variable giving the geometric height of the ground surface above the geoid. "Flood water" is water that covers land which is normally not covered by water.'

2. flood_water_speed (m s-1)
'Speed is the magnitude of velocity. Flood water is water that covers land which is normally not covered by water.'

3. eastward_flood_water_velocity (m s-1)
'A velocity is a vector quantity. "Eastward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed eastward (negative westward). Flood water is water that covers land which is normally not covered by water.'

4. northward_flood_water_velocity (m s-1)
'A velocity is a vector quantity. "Northward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed northward (negative southward). Flood water is water that covers land which is normally not covered by water.'

5. ground_level_altitude (m)
'The ground_level_altitude is the geometric height of the upper boundary of the solid Earth above the geoid, which is the reference geopotential surface. The geoid is similar to mean sea level.'

6. time_when_flood_water_rises_above_threshold (s)
'The quantity with standard name time_when_flood_water_rises_above_threshold is the time elapsed between the breaking of a levee (origin of flood water simulation) and the instant when the depth first rises above a given threshold at a given point in space. If a threshold is supplied, it should be specified by associating a coordinate variable or scalar coordinate variable with the data variable and giving the coordinate variable a standard name of flood_water_thickness. The values of the coordinate variable are the threshold values for the corresponding subarrays of the data variable. If no threshold is specified, its value is taken to be zero. Flood water is water that covers land which is normally not covered by water.'

7. time_of_maximum_flood_depth (s)
'The quantity with standard name time_of_maximum_flood_depth is the time elapsed between the breaking of a levee (origin of flood water simulation) and the instant when the flood depth reaches its maximum during the simulation for a given point in space. Flood water is water that covers land which is normally not covered by water.'

8. time_when_flood_water_falls_below_threshold (s)
'The quantity with standard name time_when_flood_water_falls_below_threshold is the time elapsed between the breaking of a levee (origin of flood water simulation) and the instant when the depth first falls below a given threshold, having already risen to its maximum depth, at a given point in space. If a threshold is supplied, it should be specified by associating a coordinate variable or scalar coordinate variable with the data variable and giving the coordinate variable a standard name of flood_water_thickness. The values of the coordinate variable are the threshold values for the corresponding subarrays of the data variable. If no threshold is specified, its value is taken to be zero. Flood water is water that covers land which is normally not covered by water.'

9. flood_water_duration_above_threshold (s)
'The quantity with standard name flood_water_duration_above_threshold is the time elapsed between the instant when the flood depth first rises above a given threshold until the time it falls below the same threshold for a given point in space. If a threshold is supplied, it should be specified by associating a coordinate variable or scalar coordinate variable with the data variable and giving the coordinate variable a standard name of flood_water_thickness. The values of the coordinate variable are the threshold values for the corresponding subarrays of the data variable. If no threshold is specified, its value is taken to be zero. Flood water is water that covers land which is normally not covered by water.'

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065