⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for flood simulation

From: Eizi TOYODA <toyoda>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 19:43:04 +0900

Dear Alison,

Thanks for ticketing my proposals. Your refinements of the language are
mostly welcome, but I realized I need to clarify one point (thanks to your
assistance) in items 8 and 9.

The hydrology people are interested in when a given region is safe to
enter. So the question is the time the flood water goes below the
threshold for the *last* time, not for the *first* time.

So I'd like to have the first sentences of 8 and 9 like as follows. I
always welcome more natural English language.

Best Regards,
Eizi

8. time_when_flood_water_falls_below_threshold

The quantity with standard name time_when_flood_water_falls_below_threshold
is the time elapsed between the breaking of a levee (origin of flood water
simulation) and the instant when the depth *first* falls below a given
threshold, having already risen to its maximum depth, at a given point in
space.

'The quantity with standard name
time_when_flood_water_falls_below_threshold is the time elapsed between the
breaking of a levee (origin of flood water simulation) and the instant when
the depth falls below a given threshold *for the last time*, having already
risen to its maximum depth, at a given point in space.

9. flood_water_duration_above_threshold

'The quantity with standard name flood_water_duration_above_threshold is
the time elapsed between the instant when the flood depth first rises above
a given threshold until the time it falls below the same threshold for a
given point in space.

'The quantity with standard name flood_water_duration_above_threshold is
the time elapsed between the instant when the flood depth first rises above
a given threshold until the time it falls below the same threshold *for the
last time* for a given point in space.

Best Regards,
--
Eiji (aka Eizi) TOYODA