⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] A few descriptions seem 'off'

From: Maarten Sneep <maarten.sneep>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 16:47:40 +0200

Hi,

I came across a few descriptions in the standard name list that seem 'off', or
clearly unclear.

surface_albedo: "The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the
atmosphere." (this doesn't define albedo itself).

planetary_albedo: "No help available."

cloud_albedo: "The albedo of cloud." (this doesn't define albedo itself either, and
is not very specific).

air_pressure_at_cloud_top: "cloud_top refers to the top of the highest cloud." (This
apears very much a modelled parameter, not a parameter from some remote sensing
technique. Either the description is kept deliberately vague, or I miss something. It
is hard to use this description on observations).

I'm sure there are more, but these caught my eye. I'm not sure how to change the
descriptions, I don't know the history of these quantities in the standard name list.
Can someone advise how to proceed?

Best,

Maarten Sneep
--