⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] A few descriptions seem 'off'

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 15:22:49 -0400

Thanks for raising this, Maarten; we should fix the albedo definitions.
I use
surface_albedo regularly, but didn't actually have a definition handy,
so went
googling.

This one's from wikipedia:

Albedo is the ratio of reflected radiation from the surface to incident
radiation upon it. Its dimensionless nature lets it be expressed as a
percentage and is measured on a scale from zero for no reflection of
a perfectly black surface to 1 for perfect reflection of a white surface.

This one's from ESR.org (earth and space research) and is narrower, specific
to earth's surface:

Albedo is the fraction of solar energy (shortwave radiation) reflected from
the Earth back into space. It is a measure of the reflectivity of the
earth's
surface.

I propose we could add the sentence 'Albedo is the ratio of reflected
radiation from
the surface to incident radiation upon it' - or something similar - to
all 3 albedo
definitions.

For air_pressure_at_cloud_top, well, the definition of air_pressure is
'No help available.'
so I guess that's a problem.

If we use sea_water_pressure as an example, here's that definition:
'"Sea water pressure" is
the pressure that exists in the medium of sea water.' True enough.

Cheers - Nan

On 7/10/15 10:47 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I came across a few descriptions in the standard name list that seem
> 'off', or clearly unclear.
>
> surface_albedo: "The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary
> of the atmosphere." (this doesn't define albedo itself).
>
> planetary_albedo: "No help available."
>
> cloud_albedo: "The albedo of cloud." (this doesn't define albedo
> itself either, and is not very specific).
>
> air_pressure_at_cloud_top: "cloud_top refers to the top of the highest
> cloud." (This apears very much a modelled parameter, not a parameter
> from some remote sensing technique. Either the description is kept
> deliberately vague, or I miss something. It is hard to use this
> description on observations).
>
> I'm sure there are more, but these caught my eye. I'm not sure how to
> change the descriptions, I don't know the history of these quantities
> in the standard name list. Can someone advise how to proceed?
>
> Best,
>
> Maarten Sneep

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *