⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposal for new standard names for some cloud quantities

From: Mark Webb <mark.webb>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 15:45:06 +0100

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks for your comments. I've updated the proposals in response to
your comments below.

> Thanks for these proposals, which look fine to me, except that it might be
> helpful to describe the process in the definition of the due_to_ names, and:
>
> > Name:tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_stratiform_cloud_and_precipitation
> > Name:tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_stratiform_cloud_and_precipitation

> what does "due to stratiform cloud" mean? - maybe "condensation" is missing?

These terms include sources and sinks of humidity from a number or processes, of
which condensation is just one. I didn't list the processes in the name
since all reelvant processes should be included - this is to be
consistent with existing standard names such as:

tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_stratiform_cloud_and_precipitation_and_boundary_layer_mixing

Here is a modified version with hopefully clearer descriptions:

Name:tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_stratiform_cloud_and_precipitation
Decription:The specification of a physical process by the phrase due_to_process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. Air temperature is the bulk temperature of the air, not the surface (skin) temperature. This variable should contain net latent heating effects of all processes which convert stratiform clouds and precipitation between water vapour, liquid or ice phases, including condensation (vapor to liquid), evaporation (liquid to vapor), freezing (liquid to ice), melting (ice to liquid), deposition (vapor to ice) and sublimation (ice to vapour).
Units: K s-1

Name:tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_stratiform_cloud_and_precipitation
Description:The specification of a physical process by the phrase due_to_process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. "specific" means per unit mass. Specific humidity is the mass fraction of water vapor in (moist) air. This variable should contain the effects of all processes which convert stratiform clouds and precipitation to or from water vapor, including condensation (vapor to liquid), evaporation (liquid to vapor), deposition (vapor to ice) and sublimation (ice to vapour).
Units: s-1

> > Name:tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_convective_cloud_condensation_and_deposition
> > Name:tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_stratiform_cloud_condensation_and_deposition
> > Name:tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor_due_to_convective_cloud_condensation_and_deposition
> > Name:tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor_due_to_stratiform_cloud_condensation_and_deposition

> what is deposition (please excuse my ignorance of cloud physics)? - could it be
> made more explicit?

These terms specifically include condensation and deposition only (and should exclude other terms). I
have made this cleared in the updated descriptions below.

Name:tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_convective_cloud_condensation_and_deposition
Description:The specification of a physical process by the phrase due_to_process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. "specific" means per unit mass. Specific humidity is the mass fraction of water vapor in (moist) air. This variable should contain only the processes of condensation (vapor to liquid) and deposition (vapor to ice) associated with the formation of convective clouds. Evaporation (liquid to vapor) and sublimation (ice to vapour) should not be included.
Units: s-1

Name:tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_stratiform_cloud_condensation_and_deposition
Description:The specification of a physical process by the phrase due_to_process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. "specific" means per unit mass. Specific humidity is the mass fraction of water vapor in (moist) air. This variable should contain only the processes of condensation (vapor to liquid) and deposition (vapor to ice) associated with the formation of stratiform clouds. Evaporation (liquid to vapor) and sublimation (ice to vapour) should not be included.
Units: s-1

Name:tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor_due_to_convective_cloud_condensation_and_deposition
Description:The specification of a physical process by the phrase due_to_process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. "specific" means per unit mass. Specific humidity is the mass fraction of water vapor in (moist) air. This variable should contain only the processes of condensation (vapor to liquid) and deposition (vapor to ice) associated with the formation of convective clouds. Evaporation (liquid to vapor) and sublimation (ice to vapour) should not be included.
Units: kg m-2 s-1

Name:tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor_due_to_stratiform_cloud_condensation_and_deposition
Description:The specification of a physical process by the phrase due_to_process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. "specific" means per unit mass. Specific humidity is the mass fraction of water vapor in (moist) air. This variable should contain only the processes of condensation (vapor to liquid) and deposition (vapor to ice) associated with the formation of stratiform clouds. Evaporation (liquid to vapor) and sublimation (ice to vapour) should not be included.
Units:kg m-2 s-1

Please let me know if I've misunderstood anything and/or if other changes are required.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark Webb Climate Scientist
Met Office Hadley Centre
FitzRoy Road  Exeter  EX1 3PB  United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 884515  Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
E-mail:mark.webb at metoffice.gov.uk   http://www.metoffice.gov.uk