⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposed Standard Name: dvorak_tropical_number - GOES-R

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 13:19:40 +0000

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your comments on this name. I take your point that dvorak_tropical_cyclone_number looks like it could be intended as a cyclone identifier, so I agree that it is better to leave the name as dvorak_tropical_number. I think the expanded definition is helpful to a non-expert like myself in understanding, at least in general terms, what the name represents and the reference is important for those who need to understand in detail.

dvorak_tropical_number (canonical units: 1)
'The Advanced Dvorak Technique (ADT) is used to derive a set of Dvorak Tropical numbers using an objective pattern recognition algorithm to determine the intensity of a tropical cyclone by matching observed brightness temperature patterns, maximum sustained winds and minimum sea level pressure to a set of pre-defined tropical cyclone structures. Dvorak Tropical numbers range from 1.0 to 8.0, increasing with storm intensity. Reference: Olander, T. L., & Velden, C. S., The Advanced Dvorak Technique: Continued Development of an Objective Scheme to Estimate Tropical Cyclone Intensity Using Geostationary Infrared Satellite Imagery (2007). American Meterorological Society Weather and Forecasting, 22, 287-298.'

This name is accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be included in the update on July 8.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065